Forever Families Through Adoption

Adoptive Parents

The Incoming Adoption

If you are living in the United States (USA) and adopting from another country, our experienced staff at Forever Families Through Adoption (FFTA) can assist you with your adoption plan. FFTA is a fully Hague accredited agency permitted to supervise incoming adoptions of a baby/child born outside the USA.

Once you decide international adoption is the route you wish to take to build your family as a prospective adoptive parent you must first be found eligible to adopt under USA law. The Federal agency that makes this determination is the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You also have to meet requirements set by your home state. A child may not be brought into the USA for purposes of adoption until USCIS determines that you are eligible to adopt from another country. The approval process includes, but is not limited to: obtaining a home study report, and criminal and child abuse background checks. FFTA can assist you with your home study report in New York State and help you with referrals to out of state home study providers.

Some of the certain requirements that must be met to adopt a foreign-born child into the USA include:

  • That at least one prospective adoptive parent is a USA Citizen.
  • If you are married, you must both adopt the child.

Each country has its own requirements for prospective adoptive parents. Country information is frequently updated, so is it important to check the Department of State’s website regularly at: We also encourage you to look at to learn more about incoming adoption requirements.

Follow Us On Facebook!!! Follow Us On Twitter!!!
Donate Now!

Learn how you can help FFTA by donating financially, through time and more...

Click Here!!!

What's New at FFTA?

Adoption and the Child Tax Credit
With the 2019 tax-filing season underway, a critical issue for families filing for the Child Tax Credit using an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) has been brought to our attention. As a result of tax law changes made in the 2017 tax reform law (known as the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act", P.L. 115-97), now only a Social Security Number (SSN) is acceptable for claiming the Child Tax Credit. As a result, the Child Tax Credit cannot be claimed using an ATIN (or any other type of taxpayer identification number other than an SSN).

Read More!